Monday, September 10, 2012

 

Connected to Ulysses S. Grant and Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Nadene Goldfoot
I could not believe my eyes.  I connected my Robinson line to Ulysses S. Grant and Franklin Delano Roosevelt through Amy Allen Hatch, born 1684 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts.  She was married to John Delano Jr, born in 1679 in Dartmouth, Massachusetts.  She was my 6th great grandaunt.  How I stumbled on this fact I cannot even remember now.  My great grandmother, Julia Ann Robinson nee Tuller's mother was Asinath Durkee and her mother was Rebecca Hatch, b: 1791 in Vermont.  The Hatches are on Julia Ann Tuller's family tree.  Her maternal grandmother was Rebecca Hatch b: 1791 in Sharon, Windsor, Vermont. (added 3/22/17)  Thus started the line of Hatches that have been so fruitful in finding amazing people.

Their daughter was Susannah Delano b: 1724 in Tolland, Connecticut.  She married Captain Noah Grant Jr. who was the grandfather of President Grant.  He was killed by Indians.  Captain Noah Grant III was their son who married Rachel Miller Kelly of Connecticut.  Jesse Root Grant b: 1794 was their son who died in Covington, Kenton, Kentucky.  He had been married to Hannah Simpson.  Their son was Ulysses Simpson Grant, General and President.

This caused my cousin Tom to realize that we could be connected to Franklin Delano Roosevelt as well, and sure enough.  I went back to Amy Allen Hatch and looked at her husband, John Delano Jr. b: 1679 in Dartmouth, MA.  His father was .Jonathan Delano b: 1647 in Plymouth, Massachusetts and was married to Mercy Warren, who also is on my tree.  Richard Warren b: 1578 in England  was the 13th signer of the Mayflower Compact and somehow I managed to get him on my tree through one of the Robinsons who may not even belong on my tree; I have so many. Mercy was his granddaughter through son Nathaniel.

Jonathan's 2nd son and only other one I know of was Thomas Delano b: 1704 in Dartmouth and was married to Jean Peckham.  Their son was Captain Ephraim Delano b: 1733 married to Elizabeth Cushman.  Their son was Captain Warren Delano b: 1779.  (Notice how names like Warren pop up as middle names?  It's like following a map in a way.)   Warren married Deborah Church who died in 1827.. Then he married Eliza Parker in 1829  in Fairhaven, Bristol, Massachusetts.  Deborah's  son was Warren Delano II who married Catherine Robbins Lyman.  His daughter was Sara  Delano who married  James Roosevelt b: 1824 in Hyde Park, New York.  Their son was Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  My, how important those middle names turned out to be!

If Amy Allen Hatch had not been born, look what we would have been deprived of.  We never know how important we can be.
* note that I had Deborah Church and Eliza Parker turned around at first writing.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?